Update: Everything in Perspective

School

Final grade for A&P I is an… A!

I’m very pleased about that. I’ve also asked the instructor to write a recommendation to my prospective colleges.

All ready started in on my chemistry course. It’s a challenge, as math has never been my strong point. I get the gist of what I am intending to accomplish, its just shifting all those little digits around… its tricky. I prefer body parts they have an apparent purpose and place. All the same, I hope to get an A- in chemistry. A would be nice, but I’m not going to kill myself. Its difficult enough to do 18 hours class time of chemistry a week and then hours and hours of work at home.

My psychology course begins tomorrow. The psychology of aging. I had childhood and adolescence but they wanted adult/elderly psych in addition for the pre-req. Psychology has always been enjoyable to me, and good grades are usually quite attainable. I’m hoping this course will be the same, as I don’t know if I could handle two difficult accelerated summer courses.

Health & Wellness

I’m trying to run minimally 5 miles 2x a week and at least 1 day of weight/resistance training. I’ve been successful so far. It really is crucial to my stress levels that I keep active.

Someone mentioned how easy it is to become an aerobics instructor. I’m considering it. The classes are no more difficult than teaching a dance class and it would be great motivation.

Food. Same as it was last post. Still kinda poor… still a health nut. I’ll be posting this week’s vegan-on-a-shoestring. That about covers that.

Employment

No job. No unemployment. I won’t lie and say that I’m not worried. But I am hoping the Universe/government comes through soon.

There may be a small side gig in the works involving costume building. More to follow on that.

Personal Practice

I thought about deleting this section, since I would still have to say non-existent. But it forces me to own up to the fact that I haven’t been taking my practice to heart.

I did have a moment of tonglen the other night while watching “Taken”. To see those poor women forced to endure such horrific treatment and to know that is going on for thousands of people, everyday, all over the world, even here in America it plunged me into a dark reflection on the nature of humanity.

Tonglen: (excerpt of Pema Chodron) The core of the practice: breathing in other's pain so they can be well and have more space to relax and open, and breathing out, sending them relaxation or whatever you feel would bring them relief and happiness.

I used this practice of tonglen to try and live for a moment with the pain that others feel, to not instinctually shut down or try to stop the thought that was making me extremely uncomfortable. It gave me some insight for a moment. As I mentioned previously, I've made a bit of a vow to myself after watching this film: my end goal is to have my future job (nurse/nurse practitioner) in some way work with international relief efforts. If ever I start to slack at school, thinking passing is good enough, I'm going to watch something like this. Something that contains the sobering reality of what life is like for so many people.

Social Life

Fight workshop was a blast. No surprise there. (me + sword + fight partner = happy)

I had the pleasure of attending the 4th of July festivities with a friend at the Harvard Club in Downtown Boston. The party took place on some high floor of the Federal Building giving us a perfect view of the show. There was an artist who did a cartoon of my friend and I, which was really cute. One of the staff saw to it that I had something I could eat and had the chef prepare me a special plate of brilliant grilled veggies with a simple but nonetheless delightful scallion basmati rice. And for dessert: cocktails and a fresh fruit plate. Definitely and experience I hope to relive next year.

Bits & Bobs

Still haven’t brought computer in. *sigh* And now I have even less time.  

Despite the handle, the car passed inspection. (Thank you little man on Chandler St.)

Garden needs some upkeep. Oops. I was supposed to do that today… maybe Tuesday after I finish my homework?


Namaste all.