Weekend in the Berkshires

Hoping to up my sanity points before diving headlong into my new Master's while working, I decided to go West.

The trip was supposed to involve camping in Tolland State Forest, while hiking nearby trails. And in the beginning it did.

My mother and I arrived later than expected (read: after dark) to the campground. Here we quickly set up camp and crashed out. In the AM, she struggled to start a fire with damp wood while I cut cantaloupe. Success on both parts though. We had tea and cooked lunch to pack.


Seeing reports of t-storms in the evening we set off on our hike. We had intended to take Gilmore trail and then an access road to another trail that led to the top of a nearby mountain. But, nature had other plans. Instead we got to the beginning of the second trail and the skies became gloomy. Back we went, arriving to camp with a minute to spare before the downpour.







We quickly reserved a night at the local B&B, Brook Farm Inn in Lenox. A vegetarian inn with afternoon tea and homey accommodations. Good thing too because there was a funnel cloud seen two hours later in Pittsfield, maybe 15 minutes from where our tent was. Eek!


Veggie Burger at Firefly with Sweet Potato Fries







Once settled, we ate out for dinner at Firefly, a local trendy bar/restaurant with some veg-friendly grub. Lenox is surprisingly devoid of vegan friendly fare. We split the caprice salad (ask for the rock salt on the side). And I had the veggie burger minus the bun with sautéed mushrooms and a side of amazing sweet potato fries. Yum. Little on the pricey side but all in all a decent meal.

Then we were off to our evening's entertainment: "Ludwig Live". A cabaret show about Beethoven. It was cute and well performed. However, kitchy musical theater is not my favorite genre and I've seen the Jewish mother joke enough to be only slightly amused. My mother highly enjoyed the show and I just wanted to gear him keep playing the pieces. I think I need to get to see more live classical.


 Anyway, I'm back at the inn and in need of sleep. Night!