Poetry: Snowfall/Footfall

January 2, 2009
9:30 pm
Worcester, MA


Snow obscures my plotted path, still and pure.
The land before me seems renewed and unfamiliar,
But my foot falls and reveals the earth beneath unchanged and constant.

There is nothing new, only that which has been reinvented.
Why then do my struggles sting like fresh wounds?

Snow, white and untouched, appears eternal
But it arrives and departs from an unseen source
So to does my suffering cycle through its journey.

-------------------------------------------------

Balance is not the art of finding equality.
Balance is the ability to recognize equality in all things:
In the space between a footfall;
The shift of weight from right to left.
Stability is an illusion, a vision built on expectation.
The only truth is change.